Friday, December 3, 2010

Wait, what was I supposed to do today?

So, many like to say that history has a way of repeating itself. Others, think history can be analyzed and learned from to prevent unwanted repetitions. So, why doesn't government realize that history is currently repeating itself? Ever heard of prohibition?

Even though it only lasted thirteen years, the Temperance movement and Prohibition was a complete failure for the United States national government. However, they have been relatively more successful with keeping marijuana illegal. Living in Austin, this can be considered a nuisance. In Texas 2002, over half of all drug related arrests involved marijuana. 
  
Today, marijuana seems to me like 1920’s alcohol consumption. Maybe it is because I live in Austin, a typically weed friendly population, that I feel this way. Eventually, Congress will realize that marijuana is a battle that they may not win.

As with alcohol, marijuana can be regulated and have restrictions. However, it can also be abused just like alcohol, and McDonalds, and the gas pedal of a motor vehicle. Human’s ability to make choices and have free will make everything potentially dangerous. If people were more educated about things, maybe we would make smarter choices, but because subjects like drugs are so under-discussed, people have a tendency to make just as uneducated decisions.

Even states like California not only realize the inevitability of legalizing weed. Even though it was formally voted against legalization in the most recent election, there are many cannabis clubs located throughout California that distribute marijuana for medication purposes. All it takes is going into the doctor. Some doctors even distribute where they hold their practice. Not only does marijuana help ease pains from simple headaches to severe injuries, but it can also help a person sleep or relieve stress. 

Personally, I have only ever known one overweight "pothead." Even though a common side effect is hunger and minor laziness, most people I encounter that smoke (or eat) marijuana on a regular basis are rather slim. Reasoning for this? Unknown, just a personal observation. Willie Nelson is 77 years old, and to the best of my knowledge, still putting on performances and leading a successful life as a well known pot smoker. 

Government needs to wise up and realize that having such a hard thumb in regards to marijuana is about as pointless as it was on alcohol. It is in such high demand these days that people are going to acquire it whether it be legally or illegally. The government might as well tax the hell out of it and make some profit. 

Personally, I would not mind weed remaining illegal. One less thing for government to tax and money-rape American citizens with. And the risk of getting a small fine is worth the savings to most.

Disclaimer : I am in no way endorsing the production or consumption of marijuana in any way, nor do I encourage anyone to partake in any illegal activity or substance. Never operate machinery or anything more complicated than a basic remote control whilst under the influence of any mind-altering substance whether it be legal or illegal. Never grocery shop whilst under the influence of marijuana and always remember to be responsible. Actually, never do anything besides watch TV if under the influence of marijuana. Thank you, and I hope you have had a great semester. Don't do drugs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment